Stellenbosch FC 1-1 (3-4 pen) Kaizer Chiefs: Khune the hero returns
Sibongiseni Mthethwa Stellenbosch Ashley Du Preez Kaizer Chiefs.jpg
In an absorbing, marathon feast of football at a packed venue, both sides had their chances on the day in what was an evenly-balanced contest

Kaizer Chiefs captain Itumeleng Khune made two penalty saves as his side beat Stellenbosch FC 4-3 on spot kicks after their MTN8 quarter-final at the Danie Craven Stadium on Sunday evening - after being locked at 1-1 after extra time.

With kickoff having been delayed by 30 minutes in order to allow all the spectators to get into the stands safely, the match got off to a lively start with both sides showing intent.

Article continues below

While Chiefs enjoyed more of the early play it was however Stellies who had the opening chances as Junior Mendieta miscued in front of goal after a swift counter-attack involving Sibongiseni Mthethwa after 11 minutes.

Mendieta also sent a 20th-minute volley narrowly wide of Khune's upright, the Amakhosi keeper making his first Chiefs appearance in 12 months.

Eight minutes later and the Cape side were even closer when Sihle Nduli powered a header into the woodwork, following a free kick from Nhlanhla Mgaga.

Amakhosi had two opportunities later in the half but didn't look likely to score as Ashley du Preez sent a volley well over the bar before Keagan Dolly pulled a shot wide of the goal from out on the left.

The complexion of the game changed just two minutes into the second half when Njabulo Ngcobo was caught on the ball by Jayden Adams, who sprinted goalwards before squaring the ball for Mdluli to sweep home from close range.

The lead was however to last only 11 minutes as the home side returned the favour - goalkeeper Lee Langeveldt putting defender Oswin Andries under pressure with a short goal-kick, the youngster selling himself short as he tried to pass back to his keeper - which allowed du Preez to nip in and score against his former club from close range.

A pitch invasion saw the restart delayed by five minutes, and after that, the match remained tense, balanced on a knife-edge as the sides took turns trying to attack.

The next clear chance only arrived in the 81st minute, Mdluli hitting the woodwork for the second time, with a clever header from Fawaaz Bassadien's corner.

Having sustained a prolonged period of pressure from the hosts, Chiefs had two chances in quick succession five minutes from time, both for du Preez, but the first went flying over the goal and the second was saved by Langeveldt, with the offside flag going up in any case.

There was some late drama when referee Jelly Chavani pointed to the penalty spot in the 98th minute after he felt Dolly had handled the ball from Mdluli's cross.

Replays showed that the ball had struck Dolly on the chest, and then subsequently - despite not having VAR in South Africa - Mdluli changed his mind on the penalty and the game went to extra-time soon after.

After a slow start to extra time, Chiefs looked set to go in front when Dolly's 100th-minute free-kick picked out Cole Alexander, but Langeveldt made an incredible reflex save on the header to help redeem his earlier blunder.

Despite some openings at both ends, that proved to be the last clear chance as the tie went to penalties.

It was Khune's turn to get back into the spotlight and he did exactly that as he saved both Deano van Rooysen and William Likuta's penalties, both of them tamely struck efforts.