News Matches

Bidco United v Gor Mahia Match Report, 13/06/2021

PEN 1 - 4
1 - 1
Utalii Football Field
(FT 1 - 1)
Gor Mahia 1-1 Bidco United (4-1 pens): K'Ogalo vs AFC Leopards in FKF Shield Cup final
18:38 GMT+3 13/06/2021
Gor Mahia players Clifton Miheso, Kenneth Muguna and Philemon Otieno.
Ingwe made it to the final after defeating minnows Equity FC through penalties

Gor Mahia defeated Bidco United 4-1 in penalties to set up a Mashemeji Derby with AFC Leopards in the FKF Shield Cup final after a 1-1 score in regulation time.

In the Sunday game at the Utalii Grounds, Kenneth Muguna opened the scoring in favour of K'Ogalo with David Orem replying for the opponents.

It was the Football Kenya Federation Premier League defending champions who started the game on a high and made an attempt just two minutes into the game. Muguna was left with a lot of space and tried his luck but he failed to hit the target.

But as the time went by, K'Ogalo was growing in confidence and their nice build-up in the fourth minute ended with the free-kick in a promising position. Muguna took it well and managed to beat the goalkeeper to give his team the lead.

Karim Abdul Nikiema would have done better in the 12th minute when the goalscorer set him up. However, he failed to beat the goalkeeper from close range.

The first shot for the Thika-based charges came in the 17th minute. Gor Mahia's defence failed to properly mark the opposition so Alex Juma unleashed a fierce strike but Gad Mathews came to the team's rescue with a decent save.

Two minutes later, the custodian had no answer to Orem. A ball was floated in from the right and the forward capitalised on poor communication at the back to pounce on the ball and score the equalizer.

In the 40th minute, Clifton Miheso did well to hold two defenders but shot across the goal as the former champions pushed for the second goal, but it was not to be as the half-time whistle ensured the two teams were tied one all.

After the break, it was Bidco United who showed intent by starting the game on a high. They pushed forward hoping to break K'Ogalo's defense once again, but it was not to be.

Miheso was brought down about 25-yards from the Bidco goal. He rose up to take the set-piece but the goalkeeper ensured the ball did not hit the back of the net.

K'Ogalo opted to play with three defenders at the back in the 66th minute and introduced Samuel Onyango in place of Andrew Juma to pile pressure in Bidco's defence.

Ernest Wendo was lucky not to be sent off after intentionally stamping on Gathu Zacharia with five minutes to go. Philemon Otieno was sent off in the 87th minute after retaliating to what he felt was a foul from Gathu.

With no team getting another goal, the match was to be decided by penalties. Mathews saved Gathu's penalty with Orem shooting wide while Anthony Simasi managed to beat the goalkeeper.

K'Ogalo scored all their penalties through Alpha Onyango, Miheso, John Macharia, and Onyango to set up a Mashemeji Derby final against AFC Leopards who beat Equity FC 6-5 on penalties.

The July 4 winner will represent the country in the Caf Confederation Cup.

Gor Mahia: Gad Mathews, Philemon Otieno, Geoffrey Ochieng, Frank Odhiambo, Andrew Juma, Haron Shakava, Ernest Wendo, Alpha Onyango, Kenneth Muguna, Abdul Karim, Clifton Miheso

Subs: Caleb Otieno, Fred Nkata, Joachim Ochieng, John Ochieng, Sydney Ochieng, Nicholas Omondi, Samuel Onyango, John Macharia, Jules Ulimwengu

Bidco United: Adisa Omar, David Kalama, Geoffrey Gitau, Francis Oduor, Anthony Simasi, Peter Nzuki, Alex Juma, Jacob Onyango, David Orem, Gathu Zacharia, Stephen Waruru

Subs: Edwin Obwabani, Lambert Otieno, Kassim Mwinyi, Wilson Anekeya, Steven Okiro, Stephen Obukui, Batts Awita, Nelson Chieta, Hillary Shilaho